When choosing a keyboard you’ll realize there is more than one type of keyboard. Although the variety is quite large, the two main ones are the mechanical keyboard and the scissor-switch keyboard. Both have their pros and cons, for example, a lot of people enjoy their scissor keyboards and maybe even haven’t tried a mechanical one. That’s because scissor keyboards are cheaper and more readily available, usually installed in laptops and in cheaper keyboards.
However, a lot of pro-gamers swear by their mechanical keyboards. They claim they feel is better and that they help with speed and fatigue. Plus a lot of them have several customization options and replacing the keys is an easy task. But with prices that sometimes are in the hundreds of dollars, are they really worth the extra expense? What’s the best keyboard between scissor and mechanical?
Scissor Switch Keyboards: The good and the bad
Scissor Switch Keyboards are usually slim and very nice looking. You may even be using one right now on your laptop! Although more expensive than membrane keyboards, they can still be found in higher-end laptops. However, you’ll find that there aren’t a lot of options for personalizing. With the price, you may just want to get another one when they wear off tho.
- Keys: The keys are connected to the bottom circuits by a scissor-switch that keeps them suspended on the tip. They go up and down with the scissor mechanism, which is basically an “x” that goes back up after pressing. The keys are either pressed or not pressed since they don’t have to travel a lot.
- Durability: The silicon membrane and the plastic pieces underneath your keys will wear off eventually and replacing it is basically impossible. If they wear off in your laptop you may need to purchase the whole piece and finding it online can prove to be challenging.
- Versatility: The pressing of the key is usually soft and quiet making it perfect for an office. They’re light and easy to carry around.
- Price: They’re at the lower end, a bit over a membrane type keyboard. You can usually purchase good ones without spending too much.
Mechanical Keyboards: Pros and Cons
Mechanical keyboards are used by a lot of gamers out there and just heavy users of PCs in general. They provide some great features that you can’t get with any other keyboard, but at a price.
- Keys: One of the best aspects of mechanical keyboards are the options you get to exchange the keys according to your needs. you can simply pluck them up and replace them. However, your finger does have to travel more since the keys are so high comparatively.
- Durability: Mechanical keyboards are highly durable and resistant against spills. Since the keys are so easy to replace, you can replace some of the keys that wear off quickly with high-quality keys, even metallic keys, making them last longer.
- Versatility: The keys are significantly louder than with any other keyboard. You can purchase silicone rings to soften the sound of the keys and there are multiple options for keys too. If you’re a gamer you can get upgraded gaming keys for a better feel. However, carrying it around will be a hassle since they’re built with a metallic bottom and are heavier and sturdier.
- Price: Although there are a couple of options that are less than 100 dollars, you will usually be spending hundreds of dollars on a good one, especially if you want to customize it.
Scissor Switch Keyboards vs Mechanical Keyboards: Who’s The Winner?
At this point, it’s very clear that both mechanical and scissor-switch keyboards have their pros and cons. If you want a keyboard perfect when you’re on the go, cheap and silent, the scissor-switch keyboard would be perfect for you. However, don’t expect it to last forever.
If you’re looking for the most durable keyboard with lots of options to customize it and great feel, mechanical keyboards are the way to go. They will set you back at least around a hundred dollars if you want a good one and will require you to take better care of them, but they’ll be perfect for your office if you don’t mind the loudness of it.
What do you think? Which one is your favorite? Let us know below!